Monday 12 January 2015

BRKC Warm Up...

Different circuit, different karts- same mentality!

I warmed up for the big 2015 BRKC event by taking part in an Open Members 'Daytona' race at Teamsport Bristol this weekend, comprising a 10 minute qualifying session followed by a 20 minute GP race. Although not really representative of Formula Fast in terms of the track or kart specification, I thought it was important to try to 'get my eye in' before official practice for the event starts on Friday.

I would be joined by fellow BRKC'er Mike 'Dutch' Westhoff, along with a few other Teamsport regulars. My main aim with BRKC in mind was getting up to speed quickly in a short, sharp race format (Essentially a 20 minute sprint) although there would be no pitstops at this particular event.

I drew a fantastic kart in qualifying, & despite a number of yellow flag incidents as others struggled to get to grips with a slippery track surface, I was able to grab pole by over half a second, also setting another five laps that would have been good enough to line up at the front. In second place was Chase the Ace regular Jeremy Woodward, with Dutch further back in the middle of the eleven drivers taking part.

After a clean getaway from pole, with Jeremy slotting in behind, the race was interrupted on the very first lap by a red flag as one of the other drivers was pushed into the tyres on the flyover. After a short delay, we were back underway & I worked hard to build a gap to second place.

Unfortunately disaster struck again for Dutch, who had been cleaving his way toward a podium position. He was involved in an incident with another driver & got spun out- dropping him to the very back of the field. The race was punctuated by more yellow flags with drivers spinning coming off the flyover, & on more than one occasion I had to dodge a few wayward karts.

Although the kart I had for the race wasn't awful, it was far less confidence-inspiring than the one I had for qualifying, with loads of understeer then snap oversteer leading to a few hairy moments!!
Jeremy had kept me honest for the first two thirds of the race, but I was able to pull away a little as we came through some traffic, before I came up behind Dutch, who had pulled himself back up to 5th overall as the final laps approached. In fairness to Dutch, he was pushing hard as he also lapped a couple of drivers, & I couldn't get near him until the chequered flag fell a few laps later.

Being first across the line is always a nice feeling, & as usual I had great fun racing against some of the other members. Jeremy did a solid job to come home in 2nd after what he described as an uneventful race for him, & it was hard not to feel sorry for Dutch, who could have easily been on the podium. He was pretty fired up after the race, seeking out the driver that had spun him- so Jeremy & I made a hasty retreat back to the viewing area!! You wouldnt like him when he's angry..

In the end, I finished 19.127 seconds up on Jeremy, with a best lap of 33.980 (my pole lap had been a 33.950) with Dutch coming home 5th with a 34.592. Arthur Binns rounded off the podium. I also noticed on the way out that I'd moved up to 5th overall fastest lap at the circuit, after the Weighted Team Challenge- spot on!

I feel about as ready as can be for the BRKC event next weekend, & now that the Heats have been drawn, I can really start to focus on how the weekend will (hopefully) go!

Look for more updates to come as the racing unfolds

See you at the track!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment