Friday 28 November 2014

Winter approaches..

It was a chilly November evening when thirteen karters took to the grid for Chase the Ace Round 3 at Teamsport Bristol in Avonmouth. Round 2 Winner Zac Venn would be starting at the back of the pack with Oliver Bayani on pole. He'd have Dan Healey beside him for company. I myself lined up in an improved 6th place, just behind Tommo Davis & Krystian Matuszkiewicz.

The track had been very slippery since the beginning of practice (where again I had been 6th fastest) but apart from a spin on my out-lap for qualifying, I was hopeful of a strong finish starting inside the top 10. As the lights went green, I got away cleanly without gaining or losing any positions, & tracked the guys infront before an early yellow flag saw everybody take the pits apart from Olly & Dan. As they fought, I was able to close up behind them as the race was again interrupted by yellow flags. Zac pitted from the rear of the pack & emerged a lap down amongst our top 3 battle, before I took my first stop to try & cover off Krystian. Unfortunately he was able to lap faster than me & maintained his position ahead. Another spate of yellow flags saw me get caught out for a second time as I was on part of the track furthest from the pits & therefore unable to take any advantage. I pitted for a second time in the hope of being in the thick of things near the end, but I could already see that Krystian was pulling away, & a few laps later Tommo emerged from the pits just ahead of me- and that was pretty much my race run.


I managed to stay within a second or so of Tom for the final 20 minutes of the race- but Krystian was able to pull clear to a solid 4th place finish. Dan Healey took the chequered flag after 45mins, whilst Oliver Bayani brought out the red flags around the half-way point when a wheel fell off of his kart whilst he was on the flyover!! Luckily he was ok & the wheel managed to not hit anybody or anything. Ollie managed to finish third after a late tangle with another driver, maintaining championship position ahead of Zac, who came home just behind me. Sam Slater completed the podium positions.


Chase the Ace takes a break for December, with the next round scheduled for January. Thanks again to Martin Savage, Andy Collins & the others at Teamsport for putting on another smooth members event, I'm sure to be there again by the end of the year!






The BRKC 2015 event is now only 6 weeks away, I've finally managed to get a hotel booked & all the last minute details are gradually being taken care of! It's looking like it's going to be a fantastic weekend of karting against some of the best drivers from the UK & Europe- the BRKC serves as a qualifying round for the Kart World Championship event! After the disappointment of missing out on a place in the semi's at the '14 race weekend, I'll be looking to pull my finger out this time!! I may even try & fit in a trip to the Autosport International show the weekend before- you know, for inspiration!


Whatever racing you have planned for the Christmas period, remember to keep safe & keep it fun!


Until next time,


Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment